Movie Savant

It doesn't take a genius to figure out what works, and what doesn't.

Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

I don't use Blogger anymore, you can visit my new site here.

Saturday, January 07, 2006

BloodRayne redefines Bomb; Hostel choking?

Boxofficemojo has the Friday night estimates up already, and I smell the sweet scent of victory.

Firstly, the estimated marketing costs for Bloodrayne have been posted, running $22m. That's only $3 million less than the production budget, so it's going to nearly double the amount of money this stinker will need to reach the break-even point to about $94 million. Not only is that unlikely, it's impossible. The estimated take for Bloodrayne is only $450,000. I don't see this moving making more than $3-4 million total this weekend. When are people going to stop trusting Uwe Boll? It makes me wish there was a stock market for Hollywood. You could make an incredible fortune by short selling stock in his movies. Thank you, Uwe Boll, for being as predictable as a rock.

As a side note, for some reason Bloodrayne only opened in about 1000 theaters, rather than the 2000 I was lead to believe it would. But even if it does expand on Saturday or Sunday, or even next weekend, it won't matter to the bottom line here. This movie has bombed, and not even DVD's sales can save it.

Hostel's est. marketing costs have also been posted. They spent almost four times as much marketing the movie as they did making it, and sadly that's going to make it tougher for this film to reach the line. I think I need a new name for the break-even line. Let's call it the Mendoza line. It's a baseball term for this one old-school Yankees reliever, and I can't really remember what the hell it means, but it sounds really cool. That's all that matters, trust me.

$4.8m budget + $18m marketing * 2 for the theater sets the line at $45.6 million, rather than $9.6 for just the budget. I can't project these sorts of things and some movies never have their marketing costs given at all, and that can really screw things up like has happened here. This is excellent news for me of course, given that Hostel pulled in a respectable $7.5 million in it's opening day. It might make as much as $20-27 million over the weekend, but that's still pretty far from the Mendoza line. There's a real good chance it might not make a profit after all, and wouldn't that suck? I'd be wrong. That's impossible, you know, for me to be wrong. The universe would implode if I were wrong. Trust me, don't wanna see that.

Munich is falling below my own expectations now that it's expanded to 1500 theaters. It's not going anywhere, that's a solid win for common sense. Kong has dropped to fourth and is dying fast, that's another win.

There's nothing else going on this weekend, and I am sick of talking about the same handful of movies every time. Come on Hollywood, there's literally ten thousand scripts out there waiting to be made, GET TO IT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home